Literacy and numeracy do not begin when we start school. They begin in early childhood.
Literacy and numeracy are not just about reading, writing and mathematics but the many preparatory skills required for developing them. These are often called pre literacy and pre numeracy skills.
You can introduce these skills to children through everyday activities when reading, shopping, singing or cooking. Some of the skills include:
- Helping children with literacy and numeracy - Ideas for families (pdf) from Australia
- Book suggestions for young children can be found at Australian Picture Books.
- Literacy ideas for young children at Play Ideas
- Number and counting ideas at Play Ideas.
- Counting songs at Kidsongs
- Counting songs at early rhymes.
- National Literacy and Numeracy Week website
- Learning about shapes
- Top Literacy and Numeracy Tips for parents – Early Years (PDF 369KB)
- Printable Shape Template: Changing Shape (PDF 249.86KB)
This year Australia celebrates literacy and numeracy on the 29 August – 4 September. Digital Literacy is being introduced this year to raise awareness of the importance of digital literacy as one of the foundation skills for the workforce in the 21st Century.
What will you do for Literacy and Numeracy week this year? You can join in here